Developing the skills and knowledge to be responsible and effective citizens is the aim of our student leadership program across the school. The program ensures our students are empowered and engaged, building a sense of belonging and citizenship in a global community.
Eltham East Primary School has a team of exceptional students in Year 6 who are role models for the school; from this group the students elect School Captains, Environment Leaders, Arts and Technology Leaders and Junior School Council Representatives.
EEPS also has a house system with four houses; Fraser, Mackay, Norman and Bradman and elected house captains. Students from Year 3 to 5 elect representatives for the Junior School Council. Class meetings and representative meetings are held weekly.
These students have a genuine voice and meet to discuss current issues, present solutions and take responsibility for the organisation of events.
Some events that highlight their skills in leadership and values education have included:
- Student led ANZAC Day Tribute and Remembrance Day
- State School Relief Fundraising
- Special Lunch Days
- Fun event days
- Fundraising for our World-Vision foster child
- Environment Projects, in particular the Eltham Copper Butterfly project, Nude Food and Active Transport
- Passing of the keys ceremony